Long-term temporary position – through June 2024
The mission of MetroWest Legal Services is to provide legal advocacy to protect and advance the rights of the poor, elderly, disabled and other disenfranchised people in our service area and to assist them in obtaining legal, social and economic justice.
Under the oversight of a supervising attorney, the attorney shall:
- Work with tenants who are facing eviction by providing legal assistance with rental assistance applications, drafting pleadings, and full representation of tenants with disabilities.
- Staff Lawyer for the Day sessions as assigned.
- Interview clients to assess legal issues presented and work to determine next steps necessary to resolve the legal problem.
- Conduct outreach and work closely with community groups serving low-income populations.
- Review active cases and close cases in a timely manner in accordance with office procedures.
- Perform such other duties as assigned consistent with the provision of quality client services.
- Juris Doctor Degree and admission to the Massachusetts Bar in good standing.
- Proven interest in and commitment to advocacy for the legal rights of low-income and other vulnerable populations.
- Interest in and some experience working with low-income populations providing assistance with housing matters.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to relate to professionals as well as community groups and individuals.
- Demonstrated understanding and commitment to anti-bias principles, cultural competency and addressing systemic racism and other forms of oppression.
- Enthusiasm, creativity, good judgment, initiative, and willingness to work collaboratively.
- Bilingual in Spanish or Portuguese helpful.
Salary/Benefits: Salary is based on a union scale with a base wage of $60,000 plus experience credit if applicable. Benefits package include generous PTO leave, 100% employer paid medical, dental, and vision insurance, employer match on retirement contributions, student loan repayment assistance program for eligible attorneys and extensive professional development opportunities.
To Apply: Candidates should submit a cover letter addressing your interest and experience in poverty/public interest law, resume, and brief writing sample via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicant applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
"*" indicates required fields