- Voices of Service: MetroWest Legal Services – Jimmy Tingle
- MAPS Honors Nailze Lima
- Joseph Sherman Selected to Public Interest Leadership Program
- MWLS Awarded Middlesex Savings Charitable Foundation Grant for Domestic Violence Services
- Family to Family – A FREE educational class for family and friends of individuals living with a mental health condition
Supervising Attorney – Immigration Unit
About Us: Founded in 1976, MWLS provides free civil legal services to protect and advance the rights
and well-being of poor, elderly, disabled, and otherwise disenfranchised individuals and families in the communities that we serve. MWLS strives to help clients overcome barriers to achieving justice in areas that address their most basic human needs.
The Position: MWLS seeks a Supervising Attorney for the Immigration Unit to provide supervision to a dedicated and talented advocacy staff and coordinate outreach to immigrant communities in the MWLS service area. Reporting to the Deputy Director, the Supervising Attorney will work with MWLS’ management team and advocacy staff to oversee the delivery of legal services to the immigrant communities in our region. MWLS is seeking an experienced immigration practitioner who is ready to move away, in part, from direct client representation and into a primarily supervisory and coordinator role for the Immigration Unit.
· Supervise, support, and oversee the direct client work and community outreach of the Immigration Unit.
· Identify priorities for MWLS’ immigration direct case work and oversee the implementation of corresponding outreach efforts.
· Develop and monitor standards of practice for the immigration staff and ensure adherence to program and case handling standards, grant requirements and the highest professional standards using regular case review and other techniques.
· Develop and monitor MWLS’ immigration case intake and case acceptance procedures.
· Maintain a small and existing case load for MWLS clients.
· Whenever appropriate, serve as co-counsel in legally complex matters such as applications for asylum before the Immigration Court.
· Oversee the collaborative relationships with community-based organizations in the MWLS service area that also serve immigrants.
· Participate in the work of MWLS’ management team including hiring decisions, strategic planning, preparing grant applications and reports.
· Manage reports for the Immigration Unit’s casework using the Legal Server case management system.
· Perform additional duties as assigned by the Executive Director and Deputy Director.